Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What I'm Reading

I recently overcame one of the oddest sensations in my life: a lack of desire to read a book. 

Symptoms include the following: no excited feeling when surveying a bookshelf, whether at home or at the library; staying one step ahead of students while they read new books which one is teaching for the first time; keeping, out of habit, several books within arm's reach, but never reaching one's arms for them; a guilty feeling whenever one surveys said shelves or spots books within one's arm's reach.

Recommended treatment includes: ? (WebMD was far too vague on this part).

Sigh.  I waited and waited.  I was almost inspired to read a book when I watched Julie and Julia, what I saw as a heartwarming and odd movie.  I loved the Julia part but, really, Julie?  Come on.  I felt as if her part was as flat as a fallen cake.  Sorry. 

Anyway, I ignored the prodding from within - as I am wont to do - and didn't bother to check out the book.  Then, in a twist of fate, a friend who was in town for the weekend forced me to borrow My Life in France, told by Julia Child and written by Alex Prud'homme.


I was a bit dismayed that it was not a picture of Julia Child herself, but I enjoyed Meryl Streep's portrayal, so I decided to forgive...the book.  Anyway, I started it about two weeks ago, and I'm now halfway through it.  I love it! 

It has renewed my hope in myself as a reader, and I've ambitiously check out a big Francine Rivers book to start as soon as I finish this one.  And I have those others on the shelf, too.  And I want to borrow a few specific ones from a friend.  Ahh, the overwhelming feeling of wanting to read too many things.  How glorious!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! Wahoo! I recently finished the Mothers Legacy or something by Rivers and it was FABULOUS! Let us know when you want Gooner and I to come over and "help" you pack.

    ReplyDelete